Busby School Division No. 4291 was opened in 1928 with grades 1 – 8. A high school was formed in 1932. In 1951 the high school students were bused to Westlock High School as the school division was centralizing all high school students to larger centers. Between 1966 and 1970 the junior high students began going to school in Westlock. The last modernization to the Busby School building was made in 1986 and completed in 1987. During 1987 – 1989 grade 7 students remained in Busby, as the junior high in Westlock was amalgamating with the high school, once R.F. Staples was completed, grade 7 students returned to Westlock. Busby School currently operates as a kindergarten through grade six facility.
Busby Elementary School is a small rural school that serves students from kindergarten to grade six for the communities and surrounding areas of Busby and Pickardville. The area is turning from a farming community to one with many acreages being purchased by young families.
During the past five years the student population has consistently remained above one hundred students. Busby School has a staff of seven teachers, four support staff and an administrative assistant.
Within the school much emphasis is placed on individual strengths and needs. Many opportunities are taken to learn and interact with students working in multi-age groupings and with a variety of staff. A sense of caring and support school-wide is accomplished partially through morning assemblies, daily activities, and family groupings. Busby School has embraced technology integration into teaching and learning and students are exposed to a wide variety of learning opportunities.